Shaista’s Special Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook as well
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/shaistas_official
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/shaistasofficial
Recipe Credits: Shaista
Cooking Credit: Chef Ankit and Chef Pankaj
- 3 Kg chicken with bones is best. Include drumsticks, thighs
- 2 Kg onions sliced thin
- 5 kg raw and 500 grams for brown Onion
- 4 green chilies slit into half
- 200 grams ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 3 tablespoon Special Biryani Masala
- ½ cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 300 grams of fresh Curd
- 1 tablespoon ghee clarified butter
- 1 star anise
- 10 cloves whole
- 2-inch cinnamon sticks
- 5/6 bay leaves
- 15 /20 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Small piece of Mace
- salt to taste
- Gulkand and half cup of hot milk
- Kewda water
- Yellow food grade colour
- 3 kg basmati rice long grain rice
- 10 litres water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Kewda water
- To cook basmati rice separately: -Soak basmati rice in water for about 1 hour. Wash the rice gently ensuring to take out only starch and not break the grains. Meanwhile add about 10 litres of water in a large vessel and bring it to boil. Once water starts to boil, add half of the whole spices about 1 teaspoon of cooking oil and salt. Add the soaked and washed rice, stir gently once and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. Keep an eye on rice as some brands of basmati rice cooks very fast and some takes time. Drain the water immediately and spread the rice on a large plate.
- Clean and wash the chicken thoroughly for at least 3 times. Add a little salt while washing the chicken this will help to get rid of the smell to an extent
- Heat the Lagan or Vessel, add oil to it
- Add rest of the whole spices and add 1.5 kg of Onion Julien
- Fry until translucent and add 3 kgs of cleaned chicken
- Fry it for a while and add ginger garlic paste
- Now cook it for 2-3 minutes
- Add all dry powders and salt
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Add whipped Curd and stir well
- Add little water
- Cover and cook it for 5-6 minutes till the Chicken is 80% done
Process of giving Dum
- Make the layers for Biryani
- Take out half of the Chicken with some gravy and keep it aside
- Add 70 % cooked basmati rice in it
- Add brown onion, little Biryani Masala and Yellow Colour
- Again, Make the Next layer with the same ingredients
- Now add ghee and little gulkand mixed in half cup of hot milk.
- Seal the Lagan with Wheat flour dough and cover it
- Keep it on a heavy hot tawa or on a Tandoor on low flame for 20 mins
- Once it is done cut and mix it in partitions.
Use long grain rice basmati rice for making chicken Dum Biryani. Do try not to replace basmati rice with other normal rice.
Rinse rice and soak it for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking. It helps cook rice perfectly.
Use chicken with bones for great flavours. Boneless chicken will result in dry and tough chicken.
The spice quantity can be increased as per your taste preference.
Feel free to replace chicken with mutton in this recipe to make mutton Dum Biryani.