Healthy Meal of the Week: Baked Fried Chicken, Rice Pilaf & Salad
Healthy Leftover Idea: Chicken Crescents
Let’s face it, fried chicken tastes pretty darn good alternatively is not very healthy since it’s breaded and dumped in boiling oil. Not to worry since here’s a technique to get the identical great taste in a much more healthy taste. Instead of frying the chicken we are going to bake it using entire wheat bread crumbs as a coating and entirely no oil. Intrigued? If now not, wait until you get a glimpse of the leftover meal thought great tasting chicken crescents and that may in all probability convince you to supply all this a check out.
– baking sheet
– twine oven rack
– pan with lid (or foil/wrap) to marinate chicken
– pot with lid (for rice)
– foods processor (for entire wheat bread crumbs)
– mixing bowl
– non-stick cooking spray
– 75 minutes
– 55 minutes
– 2 pounds chicken bone-in drumsticks/thighs
– 1 package deal deal Rice Pilaf
– salad greens (your want)
– Italian dressing
– Four pieces entire wheat bread (for bread crumbs)
– 1/Four cup yellow corn meal
– part of cup low fat milk
– 1 tbsp sugar
– 1 tbsp Olive Oil (or identical)
– 1 lemon
– seasonings: garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper
For Chicken Crescents
– 1 tube Pillsbury Reduced-Fat Crescents
– Ultra Thin Pepper Jack Slices
1. Best issue is to start with marinating the chicken. Remove skins from each piece and rinse chicken under cold water.
2. In a mixing bowl add the part of cup milk, 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon of each garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Also decrease lemon partially and squeeze the entire juice into the bowl. Whisk until sugar is dissolved into mixture.
3. Using forks, puncture each piece of chicken a few events so marinade can really soak in. Carefully roll each piece inside the marinating mixture until totally covered. Place in a shallow baking pan, duvet, and place inside the refrigerator for an hour.
4. If you make plans to make do-it-yourself entire wheat bread crumbs, preheat oven to 300 ranges, place Four slices of bread on a baking sheet. Place inside the oven and switch each and every 15 minutes for a whole of 45 minutes. It helps to set the microwave or phone time to duplicate each and every 15 minutes so you don’t fail to remember. When completed remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Break up the bread into pieces and place proper right into a foods processor. Pulse until there aren’t chunks and you might be left with blank pile of entire wheat bread crumbs.
6. Put bread crumbs, 1/Four cup of yellow corn meal, along with a few pinches of salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder proper right into a bowl and with clean fingers mix smartly.
7. Prepare your baking sheet for the chicken. Place a piece of foil during the entire length of the baking sheet. Spray the twine rack smartly with non-stick spray and place on best of baking sheet.
8. Preheat oven to 375 ranges. Take pan with marinating chicken from the refrigerator. One piece of chicken at a time (now not dripping) grab over the bowl of the breadcrumb mixture and use your other hand to sprinkle mixture far and wide each and every facet. Don’t roll chicken together given that marinade will purpose clumps to form. Once a piece of chicken is completely covered, place on best of twine rack. Repeat for each ultimate piece of chicken.
9. Place pan with twine rack of chicken in center of your oven. Set timer for 55 minutes.
10. While chicken is cooking you are able to get began the rice pilaf. Follow directions on the box. In this situation we used 1 3/Four cups of scorching water and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Bring to a boil, add rice, seasoning packet and stir smartly. Reduce to a simmer, duvet, and set timer for 18 minutes.
11. Last alternatively now not least is the salad. Wash lettuce and vegetables you need to make use of. Mix in a bowl and serve an appropriate portion size. Hold off on the Italian dressing until ready to eat.
12. When chicken is finished cooking carefully remove from the oven and serve a piece or two along with a scoop of rice pilaf and your salad. Enjoy!
Healthy Leftover Idea: Chicken Crescents
Here’s a in reality highest maintain you’ll be able to be ready to check out if there may be any chicken leftover after your meal. Hopefully there may be because of the ones are delightfully tasty and simple to make. The best possible additional items you’ll be able to need are one tube of Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescents and a couple slices of Ultra Thin sliced pepper jack cheese (or other of your variety).
Preheat oven to 375 ranges. On a baking sheet lightly coat with non-stick spray. Open container of crescents and carefully separate. Gently stretch fairly to have the same opinion accommodate the items you’ll be able to be putting within. Strip the chicken from the bone and dice into small pieces. Use your hands to check for any small bones that may have snuck via. Place some pieces of chicken, a tiny little little bit of cooked rice pilaf if you need, and a couple of cheese. Fold the crescent over on best of itself overlaying the entire items. With fork tines press them into the sides to create a good seal. Place all formed crescents spaced apart on a baking sheet and into the oven. Set timer for Eight minutes and you’ll be able to have some great tasting treats to experience for lunch or snack the next day.
Article Source Link via Gregory L Gomez